Thursday, November 22, 2012

Mainstreaming

In a few hours I will sit down at two tables and proceed to stuff myself (twice) eating from a feast that will have on average 30% more food than can possibly be eaten at one time.  I will do this because that is "mainstream" American tradition aka Thanksgiving.  Now I am not bashing Thanksgiving or any other holiday in any way. I love holidays. Despite having friends and family less than 60 miles away, I  see them only on holidays. I work an on call job where scheduled work hours can be 24/7. My SO works 4 -10 hour shifts that rotates where she works every Wednesday and every other day of the week in a two week period which means she gets every other weekend off and if her work day is on a holiday, then she works. This makes the logistics of making to the holiday gathering or even random birthdays and such, very difficult. So this is not to bash holidays despite it being written on a holiday.

But "Mainstreaming" is not always a good thing. In fact, its my contention that it is mostly a bad thing. Fast food, bigger faster cars, Fads,  etc. has created a fatter, lazier, poorer American.  It is simply another tool in the mind control game played between big business and the high powered advertisers on Wall Street where they continue to tell us what our needs are and have been doing it for so long, we now think that the idea was originally ours all in an effort to maintain an outdated revenue stream.

Mainstreaming prevents prompt active adoption of newer and better ways of living. What most fail to realize is that nearly everything we do is done the wrong way and why do I say that?  Well nothing is perfect. We all know this. Every day we figure out different (not always better!) ways to do things. Some get implemented, some get buried because they are too far from "mainstream" and get lost, sometimes forever. IOW, someone else decides what is best for us before we even know what it is in most cases.  Either way; no matter what the subject, there is a better way!

Recently, specs for the 2013 JPN version of the Nissan LEAF were announced. Just like the previous 2012, many small improvements have boosted the appeal of the LEAF which imm, is still the best EV choice for a family out there.  The American version will be slightly different because it always is but the JPN version gives us a hint at what we can expect and the big discussion at www.mynissanleaf.com is how "un" mainstream the car remains and that is implied to be a bad thing...a VERY bad thing.

Well, I realized that my LEAF does require a considerable change in my driving habits. These required switches have escalated since starting my new (temporary i hope) job.  My job requires me to travel to customer locations which can be all over the South Sound. The District I am assigned to covers the entire Olympic Peninsula (includes Forks which is nearly 200 miles ONE WAY) Generally,  the company provides van pools, car pools, etc  but have had several unscheduled jobs added at the last second where I was required to drive and ended up taking the Prius for a few of them.  Either way, the Centrailia drive is still very doable and now that Providence Centrailia is installing Blink chargers a contingency plan is now available for the day when Centrailia will be too far.  

Having recently moved, I now share a plug with the dryer which means more scheduling to make sure the LEAF has the juice needed to get to its destination which adds to the concessions needed to make the LEAF work for us.

All in all; the LEAF does not require any one great adjustment, just a series of minor ones and the associated time and effort that goes along with it. I personally know people who will not make any concessions in any part of their lives due to their perceived need for immediate gratification and its seemingly inconsequential financial impact who are struggling with money. (like who isnt?) It does require some forethought, planning and anticipation.  I am willing to make the sacrifice and after 22 months and 4 days; the benefits have been well worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment